Christopher Joseph Gorman received his B.A. from St. John’s University in 1934. As an undergraduate he was active in many student organizations, including the Skull & Circle honor society (president), Sigma Zeta Chi, Crusade Club, Student Council, Torch (business manager), Vincentian (organization editor), Glee Club, Orchestra, and Dramatic Society, as well as class football and basketball, among other activities. Gorman went on to study at St. John’s Law School, from which he graduated in September 1936. He acted as editor-in-chief of the Law Review journal of St. John’s Law School in 1935-1936.
This collection contains memorabilia collected by Christopher J. Gorman during his time at St. John’s University and as an alumnus, including two scrapbooks he compiled about his education, career, and personal life.
Finding Aid (PDF)
Elaine Marilyn Lilli (née Andrews) graduated from University College at St. John’s University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in June, 1956. She was a member of the Squaw Society (a sorority at University College), Chorus, The Gaels, History Seminar, Intramurals, and St. John’s News, among other activities. This collection contains memorabilia from Elaine M. Lilli’s time at St. John’s University from 1952 to 1956. The items reflect her academic and extracurricular activities.
Finding Aid (PDF)
This collection contains audio recordings of historical events at St. John’s University, including songs performed by the St. John’s College Glee Club.
Listen to the audio recordings here.
Finding Aid (PDF)
Arthur B. Carton received a Bachelor of Arts degree from St. John’s College in 1925, and graduated from St. John’s School of Law in 1928. He was the secretary of his freshman class, an editor of the student publication Red and White, a member of the Joyce Kilmer Fraternity, and the manager of the St. John’s College baseball team (1922-1923) and football team (1923). He was actively involved in the Alumni Association for many years.
This collection is comprised primarily of St. John’s sports memorabilia, along with a few class registration cards and academic schedules. The baseball scrapbook contains newspaper clippings about the St. John’s baseball team, some memorabilia, and letterheads mainly from colleges and universities. There is a miniature football-shaped charm inscribed, “St. J. 13 Fordham 0 / Arthur B. Carton MGR / 1923” which he received as the manager of the first entirely St. John’s College football team (without St. John’s Prep students).
On view December 2-22, 2014
St. Augustine Hall 3rd Floor
The University has witnessed enormous change since its humble beginnings on Lewis Avenue in Brooklyn in 1870. One of the most pivotal decades of all was that of the 1960s. The Queens campus expanded tremendously as the University’s Brooklyn presence shrunk, academic programs blossomed, the student body diversified and grew in numbers, the faculty unionized and had greater curricular input, and the administrative structure was altered to include more lay people on its Board and in senior positions. A faculty strike in 1966 marked a time of divisiveness and healing. The 1960s saw the University at the cusp between its first century of existence and the future. Change was in the air.
The curators of the exhibition are the graduate students in the course on Archives and Manuscripts (LIS 249), taught by Dr. Blythe E. Roveland-Brenton. The students are enrolled in the Library & Information Science and Public History master’s programs. Assistance was provided by Alyse Hennig.