George James Crane graduated from Boys High School, Brooklyn, in 1910, and then earned a B.A. (cum laude) at St. John’s College in 1914, an M.A. at Columbia University in 1917, and a Ph.D. at Fordham University in 1929. He also served in the armed forces during World War I. Crane was a teacher and principal at several New York City area elementary and high schools including Boys High and Boys Summer High in Brooklyn; East Side Evening High in Manhattan, and P.S. 71. He was the first principal of Bayside High School in Queens, from 1936 until 1951 when he retired. Additionally, from 1920, Crane taught courses in English and American Literature at St. John’s University and Manhattan College. George Crane passed away in 1966.
This collection contains the personal papers of George Crane, including memorabilia, correspondence, photographs, clippings, class and lecture notes, a master’s thesis, dissertation, and publications. There are two scrapbooks; one contains personal items such as school and drama club materials, newspaper clippings, and photographs. The other scrapbook was compiled by Crane’s students in 1933 prior to his trip to England.
Thomas Meehan (1854-1942), Brooklyn native, was a historian, newspaper editor, and writer. He was an authority on Irish Catholics, especially in New York. Meehan was managing editor of the “Irish-American” weekly newspaper, New York correspondent for several national and international papers, assistant managing editor of the “Catholic Encyclopedia” and long-standing contributor to “The Tablet,” the newspaper of the Diocese of Brooklyn.
The collection at St. John’s represents subject files on various topics, primarily focused on the Catholics and Catholic organizations of New York. They were likely used by him as support material for his research. Most of the collection is comprised of newspaper and magazine clippings. Almost all materials except the clippings are in the process of being digitized and added to our digital collections website, including correspondence, pamphlets, images, ephemera, and other documents.
On View November 25 – December 19, 2014
St. Augustine Hall 4th Floor
In honor of the 10th anniversary of St. Thomas More Church on the Queens Campus, this exhibition revisits the many churches and chapels that have been a part of St. John’s. The elaborate stone Church of St. John the Baptist in 1894 on the original Brooklyn campus at Lewis Avenue (and the wood frame church that stood before it), and the Chapel of St. Vincent de Paul in 1952 at Schermerhorn Street in downtown Brooklyn, were the first two sacred spaces to serve the St. John’s community. The dream of building a freestanding church as illustrated in the original 1955 master plan of the Queens campus evolved from a temporary chapel in St. John Hall, to the Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes, and finally in 2004 St. Thomas More Church. Also highlighted are the faculty residence chapel in St. Vincent Hall, and the Chapel of St. Vincent de Paul on the Staten Island campus, which was originally part of Notre Dame College of Staten Island.