Wartime needs for learning facilities and for college-trained men, particularly engineers, generated a synergistic partnership during World War II between institutions of higher education and the U.S. military. In 1942, Fr. William J. Mahoney became president of St. John’s University and negotiated with the military to transform St. John’s into a training site for the Army Specialized Training Corps, (3230th Service Command Unit). The program dismantled in 1944 when men in greater numbers were needed at the fronts, not in the classrooms. There are only two known student newsletters from the ASTP, which were never officially named.
Choose a Category
Popular Tagsalumni anti-partition apothecary jars art exhibition catalogues Austrian Duchy of Carniola bibles book arts Brooklyn catholic children's books church fine arts fine bindings german-speaking Glee Club gottschee gottscheer Gottscheer Relief Association of Ridgewood ireland irish irish american Kocevje lawn tennis letters literary magazine Long Island majolica manuscripts memorabilia newspaper New York otto f. ege paul o'dwyer pharmacy popes Queens rare books saints scrapbook Slovenia sparks special collections St. John's College st. john's history st. john the baptist student publication student publications tennis william fischer WWII