On View November 25 – December 19, 2014
St. Augustine Hall 4th Floor
In honor of the 10th anniversary of St. Thomas More Church on the Queens Campus, this exhibition revisits the many churches and chapels that have been a part of St. John’s. The elaborate stone Church of St. John the Baptist in 1894 on the original Brooklyn campus at Lewis Avenue (and the wood frame church that stood before it), and the Chapel of St. Vincent de Paul in 1952 at Schermerhorn Street in downtown Brooklyn, were the first two sacred spaces to serve the St. John’s community. The dream of building a freestanding church as illustrated in the original 1955 master plan of the Queens campus evolved from a temporary chapel in St. John Hall, to the Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes, and finally in 2004 St. Thomas More Church. Also highlighted are the faculty residence chapel in St. Vincent Hall, and the Chapel of St. Vincent de Paul on the Staten Island campus, which was originally part of Notre Dame College of Staten Island.